We recommend that you try a straightforward Free text search first, as this is most likely to be effective.
The free text search can also work very well combined with the Reference code field, if you are interested in searching within one of the larger collections and you know the collection reference. Alternatively, you could try restricting the free text search to the records of one particular library, using the Repository drop-down box.
If you are getting too few hits or no hits at all:
- Check your terms for spelling and typing errors
- Try using fewer terms to broaden the scope of your search
- Search using the Free text field
- Try synonyms or use a word with a broader meaning
If you are getting too many hits:
- Use the Search in results option (listed on the left-hand side of the Results screen)
- Try using more terms to limit the scope of your search
- Search using fields other than Free text (e.g. Person / institution) or build a query using the expert search
- Try synonyms or use a word with a more specific meaning
Institutions outside ULRLS may also hold material of interest to your research. A list of some useful websites is available at: